Thursday, November 17, 2011

Saying Thank You

by Brooke Nelson

Apples in a Basket What do you thank God for? I know that this time of year reminds us to be more thankful. But sometimes we don’t remember everything that God has done for us, so we thank Him only for certain things. One thing that God brought to my attention is that I should thank Him for His forgiveness.
A few years ago I was attending a service, and the speaker told us that we should tell God thank you when we asked for forgiveness.  I honestly had never thought of thanking God for His forgiveness. My tendency was (and still is at times) to ask for forgiveness after committing a sin and then wallow in despair for committing that sin. What a sad place to be. Instead of believing that my loving Heavenly Father has forgiven me as He promised to do, I hold on to the belief that I am unforgivable. I’m sure that I don’t think in those exact words, but the fact that I hold on to the despair of my sin shouts my unbelief.
“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins, and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness” (I John 1:9). This verse is very clear that I am assured of forgiveness. But my unbelief overshadows the truth that God “is faithful and just.” Have you seen the pattern here yet? My unbelief comes from a self-centered view. God and all His glory are not my primary focus. The ugliness of my sinful self has become my focus, and I am viewing my wonderful God through that ugliness.
What can be done? Since I am the heart of my problem, then I need to work on changing my view. Psalm 103:12 reminds me that “as far as the east is from the west, so far hath he removed our transgressions from us.” That is such a wonderful thought! You and I both know that east and west never meet. So neither will we ever meet our sins again.
Our Lord has given us a beautiful promise that we need never doubt. Will you join me in saying thank you? Next time you humbly ask God for forgiveness include a “Thank you Lord for forgiving me” at the end. Saying those words will help you remember God’s promise to us and His love for us. “For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord” (Romans 8:38-39).

I recieved this article in an email today and felt compelled to share it. If you want to see the original, it can be found here: http://www.bjupress.com/resources/christian-school/articles/saying-thank-you.php?cm_mmc_o=wFzbk*2m+mBkAfbBEl*SioxN*zyfbgkw&j=13764924&e=Rainbocow@gmail.com&l=129345_HTML&u=134263341&mid=33867&jb=0 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love your comments- thanks for sharing! :D

Follow by Email